Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Now to Serve

Mark 10:42-45 "Jesus called them together and said, 'You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.' "
Being part of a young generation of ministers and leaders, I really feel like I have a lot to learn. What is it really like to be a servant to all? The answer is only found in following Jesus...He is the greatest servant leader of all.
As a family, my husband and I are in the midst of a major change, from a position of official ministry (on staff at a church) to students and workers (going back to school). Our roles are in the middle of a major transformation and I feel now I am only beginning to learn what it is like to be a servant leader.
In a few months, we will be moving to Oregon and entering another education phase of our life. In the meantime, we are living at home in the midst of a season of rest and learning. While I'm here I feel like God is whispering to my heart the value of learning how to truly serve. The community and church here are the exact opposite of what we just came from. The pace is slower, the area is smaller, the group of people is fewer. However, the opportunities to learn are plentiful. The biggest lesson I am learning is how to serve and help people not because I have to or because I am paid to do so, but because I genuinely want to and out of a heart that truly wants to serve. The incentive for serving should have nothing to do with myself, and everything to do with glorifying God and helping others. It's what Jesus teaches.
If you want to be great in the Kingdom of God, serve out of a heart that wants no recognition for yourself, out of humility. Serve not to encourage a prideful nagging within you, but to see others blessed and coming to Christ. Those in the world lead to make a name for themselves, we as Christians should lead to make a name for Christ.

1 comment:

Seth said...

Wow that is awesome! I am going to steal a quote from you in that one! It's going on Twitter. I am excited to be in this new season with you girl. It is good to be learning new things about serving in a different context.